Mosquitoes Are arguably one of, if not the very, annoying insect on Earth. A mosquito’s bite can and generally does destroy all outdoor functions during the spring and summer months. I’m not going to give you the biology of mosquitoes, but what I’ll do is provide you with the wisdom and the tools you will want to control them.
1. Mechanical Control – This is where you ought to always start. Mechanical control is when you remove the mosquito’s origin of breeding. If there are no places for mosquito larvae to hatch and become adults, you have just eliminated most of the problem. Old tires, flower pots, swimming pools, bird baths, clogged gutters and impressions in the ground are all ideal mosquito breeding havens. Eliminate water after storms out of whatever that the can and will keep moisture. Repairing screen doors, door sweeps, etc can also eliminate entry points to the house.
2. DEET is usually the main component, but anything over 20 percent is a waste. So read the label carefully before purchasing. Lotions like Skin so Soft, and various brands of Citronella products such as Tiki torches and bucket candles are also highly popular.
3. Dunks are a larvicide that kills the mosquito larvae by preventing them from growing into adults, and or contaminating the creatures food origin (algae, bacteria etc). Some mosquito dunks can be very costly. Only use dunks in position stagnant water which does not go away. Please read the LABEL prior to applying, since it’s not intended for large bodies of water.
4. Mosquito Trap / Magnet – The mosquito magnet (also known as a mosquito trap) is the Cadillac of all mosquito control methods. Mosquito magnets are propane operated and require using Octenol or Lurex (depending on what kinds of mosquitoes have been in the area you reside). The combination of CO2 and Octenol mimic a human breath, which in turn attracts mosquitoes to the place of the snare. If you spend a lot of time outdoors, you should seriously consider one of these. The Skeetervac mosquito trap is also very powerful.
5. Mosquito Net / Netting – Mosquito nets are very popular for outdoor events like camping. Netting comes in all forms from gazebos, head netting and various styles for sleeping outdoors. Netting is fantastic, but again, treating the origin is always the best.
6. Mosquito zapper – This is the simple way out, but maybe not the best type of mosquito control. Even though it’s cool to listen to mosquitoes get electrocuted while throwing down a chilly one, mosquitoes aren’t as susceptible to lights such as moths and other pests.
7. Term solution, but can give you quick relief. Mosquitoes are territorial, therefore fogging will kill adult mosquito populations extremely fast, but is not a long-term solution. Wind is also a factor, so if the wind speeds are above 3mph, fogging will not be as powerful, in the end.
8. Mosquito Spray – Another control system is having a residual pesticide to treat areas where mosquitoes might rest throughout the day. Under eaves, trees, bushes or any dark shaded area where it is cool and nice is the perfect location to treat. Some sprays are not intended for plants because the chemical could be phototoxic to crops. Don’t forget to always READ THE LABEL before using insecticides. A professional can help with this too Wildlife Removal San Antonio Tx
9. Lighting – Mosquitoes are Brought to carbon dioxide that is generated from the breathing of an animal or human. So don’t waste your money on these fancy yellow lights if you’re attempting to limit mosquito action.
10. Diet / Natural Predators – Yes, there are particular kinds of pills and foods which may act as a natural mosquito repellent. Garlic pills for individuals and brewers yeast for pets are becoming more and more popular for men and women who are going Green. There are various shops online and locally which sell these products.
One last thing, If You Reside in an area where you Have plenty of mosquito natural predators such as dragon flies, Let nature do everything. Be thankful You have some help from the wildlife with your pest management difficulties.